Sunday 30 November 2014

Brazilian Colloquialisms, Sayings, and Slang #61

Vô num pé e volto n’outro - I will go/am going on one foot and coming back on the other


A way of saying “I’ll be right back/be back in a jiffy/etc.”


in this case is a colloquial shortening of eu vou (I will).


It can also be a shortening of avô (grandpa/grandfather), but due to context it’s pretty easy to tell which word is being shortened.


Vou ali e volto já (vô comprá maracujá) - i’m going over there and will be right back (I’m going to buy [some] passion fruit)


A way of saying “I’ll be right back/be back in a jiffy/etc.”


The part about the passion fruit is rhyming slang (sort of - ‘cause it’s being used due to it rhyming but it’s not actually slang…)


Comprá is a shortening of the verb comprar (to buy/purchase).


Brazilians (and I would guess Lusophones in general) tend to remove the R at the end of the verb when speaking informally.


No comments:

Post a Comment